In the spirit of St. Patrick’s Day, here’s a delicious vegetable stew chocked full of root veggies, herbs and BEER!
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions
- 1 cup cup parsnips, sliced
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1 cup potatoes, sliced into chunks
- 1 cup turnips or rutabagas, peeled and sliced into chunks
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups stout beer
- 2 cups cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- A few sprigs each fresh rosemary, thyme and marjoram (or 1/4 teaspoon of each dried)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, saute onions in the olive oil until translucent. Add the remaining vegetables and cook for a few minutes, stirring.
- Add broth, stout, cabbage and parsley to pot. Tie together sprigs of fresh herbs with a piece of cooking string and add (or add dried herbs). Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Simmer for an hour, or until vegetables are tender and stew has thickened, adding water if necessary.
- Remove herb bundle. Season with salt and pepper, divide among plates and serve.